A couple of months ago we started a new series of install articles called Quick Tech. These articles are designed for the DIY person and are installs that take less than two hours. We recently installed a BD Diesel Performance TapShifter in one of our Fords. That install took less than half an hour and made a huge difference. The TapShifter gives you, the driver, control of your transmission making towing much easier and safer.
Exhaust Brake Part number: 2001100
Sockets (1/4-inch): 8 mm and 10 mm
Misc: Wire Cutters, zip ties, regular screw driver, box cutter
We wanted to enhance our towing just a little bit more. So, we again turned to BD Diesel Performance for their new exhaust brake. Now this isn’t one of those exhaust brakes that requires cutting and welding an exhaust pipe. This is one of their new electronic exhaust brakes that controls the variable vanes in the turbocharger.
“Nobody likes to have the entire family in the truck with a trailer on the back and have the inability of the service brakes to slow the vehicle down driving down roads like the Grapevine in California,” says Christian Roth, Vice President of BD Diesel Performance.
When the exhaust brake senses a need for engine braking, it closes the vanes. This restricts the exhaust flow coming out of the heads. By keeping pressure in the exhaust system high, the cylinders never really empty out. This means the pistons are constantly compressing the air inside of the cylinders. This removes a lot of energy from the system, thus reducing the vehicle speed. While not the exact same as a Jake Brake, it operates on similar principles.
“Not only does this provide a safer driving experience, but not always being on the brakes means there is a maintenance improvement aspect too. By utilizing the factory turbocharger to close the veins off, and slow the engine down, we thereby control the vehicle. So, you don’t put as much wear on the vehicle’s brake system,” explained Roth.
We took the truck to Diesel Dynamics in Joshua, Texas to have Maclain Young walk us through the installation. We were actually in and out in less than ten minutes. This project is that simple and straight forward.
Initially Young stuck Velcro on the backside of the controller. Then, he found a place to mount the controller on the inside of the front driver’s side fender. He used a little bit of brake clean and removed dirt off of the area before mounting.
While he was working so close to the master cylinder pressure switch, he went ahead and disconnected it. The exhaust brake has a male and female end that plugs into the master cylinder pressure switch and the factory wiring harness. Young, then connected the wiring for the position switch (part of the brake controller) and ran most of the wiring through the firewall.
By using a skinny regular screwdriver, Young was able to push the release tab on the exhaust brake controller. Then, he simply reconnected everything using the supplied BD Diesel Performance connectors. Not splicing anything, means there is a lot less chance of pre-mature failure and issues down the road.
The only wiring left under the hood was for the turbocharger vane actuator. Again, the exhaust brake controller has a male and female connector as well. This means there is no cutting or tapping required to connect the brake controller. Young used a regular (flat) screwdriver to push down on the locking tap and slide the wire connector off. Then the two exhaust brake connectors were connected and all of the under hood work was complete.
In the cab, steering wheel cover was removed to expose the wiring connector for the tow/haul. The shifter’s activation button has a connector that is mounted to the top of the steering wheel column. The exhaust brake connects directly to the male and female plugs. Again, no taping or splicing needed. The exhaust brake wiring runs just inside of the fuse panel cover and up into the steering wheel.
Young was in and out of the steering wheel area within moments. This is where experience pays. For us DIY types, this may take a few minutes to find all of the bolts and remove the cover. Just take your time because there are no tricks here, just a couple of bolts and the cover comes right off.
The only wire tap that is needed for this assembly, is for the brake pedal sensor. Young unplugged the factory wiring connector from the brake pedal assembly and found the purple wire with a white tracer. He then used the posi-tap provided in the kit to tap into the brake wiring. The white wire for the exhaust brake controller was then connected.
The only remaining item is the position switch. Young placed the sticker on the mounting bracket and then connected the switch to it.
With the switch installed, the rotary dial was installed to select which level of breaking is needed. Then the whole assembly was mounted under the fuse panel cover. That is it, the system is ready to go. Young performed a quick check to ensure that all connectors were connected and the wiring was run safely. Then he backed the truck out of the bay and we head down the street for a quick test.
(If you want to see a more detailed install, the installation manual can be found here.)
There is a noticeable difference between levels one and two. Level two is really designed for steep grades or heavy trailers. The exhaust brake provides significant breaking on level two. Both provide a level of extra security and braking to ensure a safer driving experience while towing.
For us, a quick install upgrade like this, that is cost effective, is a great “bang for the buck” upgrade. The icing on the cake is how quickly the entire thing is installed. While Young only took about 10 minutes, but we would say this is probably a 30-minute install.