Hot news out of Detroit today from Chevrolet is the 2021 Silverado 3500 HD will boast an available, best-in-class, up to 36,000 pounds of max towing capacity. Building upon the strength of Chevrolet’s heavy-duty truck lineup, the Silverado HD receives significant updates and enhancements for the 2021 model, including an available max tow rating of up to 36,000 pounds1 and a multitude of trailering technology features to expand its towing performance.
Regardless of which brand it is, these diesel trucks work hard. They pull equipment trailers, campers, and even livestock. It is important to us that we have a truck that is built for the jobs that we have. For 2021, the engineers at Chevrolet have increased the max towing capacity by 500 pounds for a total available capacity of 36,000 pounds.
The Silverado 3500 HD Work Truck, Regular Cab, Dually, and the two-wheel drive’s equipped with the 6.6-Liter Duramax diesel and 10-speed Allison transmission will have the Max Tow Package. Hardware updates and packaging changes to the wheels helped Chevrolet achieve the new tow ratings which, for those of you who are wondering, are certified to SAEJ2807 standards.
Enhanced Trailering Tech for More Views and Towing Confidence
Towing a trailer can be stressful in some situations. The best thing manufacturers can do is make life easier for us. How so? Cameras. The 2021 Silverado HD is setting the bar pretty high for towing technology offering up to 15 available unique camera views with 8 total cameras. Here are some new angles that I think will be very helpful.
- Trailer Length Indicator2: When making a lane-change maneuver with the turn signal activated, a red overlay twice the length of the compatible trailer is shown on the center console screen, which can help show when other vehicles are present.
- Jack-Knife Alert2: Tracks the position of the compatible trailer in relation to the vehicle and provides an alert if a potential jack-knife situation is imminent.
- Cargo Bed View enhancement: Cargo Bed Zoom View and Bed Hitch Guidance are now available, which help to align and hook up a gooseneck/fifth-wheel trailer.
- Rear Trailer View now features guidelines and Trailer-Angle Indicator2: Enhanced to include assisting guidelines when backing a compatible trailer into place and a Trailer-Angle Indicator shows the relationship between the truck and trailer3.
- Rear Side View enhancement2: Provides a split view, automatically biased based on the trailer’s angle, of the left and right sides of the truck and compatible trailer. This view was previously only available while driving forward and is now available in Reverse for better visibility when positioning a trailer.
I don’t know about you guys but the “Special Edition” trucks have always got me excited. Manufacturers will team up with different brands and offer a unique schemed truck and they’ve always looked good, in my opinion. I’ve seen Harley Davidson, Carhartt, and more. Speaking of Carhartt, in 2021 for the LTZ package trucks, they are back!
Carhartt Special Edition
- The Carhartt Special Edition is offered exclusively on the LTZ and features all-weather floor liners with the Carhartt badge, along with exclusive two-tone Jet Black and Carhartt Brown perforated front and rear leather seating surfaces featuring unique stitching and Carhartt embroidered headrests.
- Outside, the Carhartt Special Edition comes exclusively in Mosaic Black Metallic with Carhartt pinstripe detailing, Carhartt badging on the doors and tailgate, 20-inch wheels with all-terrain tires, and a soft roll-up tonneau cover embossed with the Carhartt logo. Body-color grille bar and chrome inserts, along with body-color front and rear bumpers, further add to the distinctive exterior styling and the truck’s overall presence.
- Available on black LT and LTZ trims, Midnight Edition offers an intimidating blacked-out appearance from tip to tail, including the grille bar, grille inserts, skid plate, Silverado badging, and standard black 18-inch aluminum wheels with aggressive mud-terrain tires, or available black 20-inch wheels.
Z71 Sport Edition
- Available on LT and LTZ trims, the Z71 Sport Edition offers an aggressive monochromatic look with color-matched bumpers, grille bar and black door handles. Exclusively available in Red Hot, Summit White, or Northsky Blue exterior paint, it also features black accents, including Silverado badging, skid plate, mirror caps, hood vent, and black 18-inch wheels with mud-terrain tires or black 20-inch wheels with all-terrain tires.
Z71 Chrome Sport Edition
- Available on LT and LTZ trims, Z71 Chrome Sport Edition features a body-color bumper and grille bar with chrome accents to door handles, skid plate, grille insert, assist step, and badging. Only available in Summit White and Black, Z71 Chrome Sport Edition comes with 20-inch machined aluminum wheels with Grazen metallic accents or 20-inch polished aluminum wheels on LTZ.
Midnight Edition, Z71 Sport Edition, and Z71 Chrome Sport Edition will all be available in late 2020. The Carhartt Special Edition starts production in fall 2020.
More Available and Standard Equipment
- Bed View Camera6 display located in a rearview mirror screen inserts now available on Work Truck, Custom, and LT.
- Bed View Camera display located in the infotainment screen now standard on High Country and available on LTZ and LT.
- SiriusXM radio4 and OnStar5 now available on Work Truck and standard on LT.
- Safety Confidence Package6 available on Work Truck and Custom. Package includes Forward Collision Alert6, Automatic Emergency Braking6, Driver Information Center and Steering Wheel Audio Controls.
- Wireless Phone Projection on Apple CarPlay7 and Android Auto8 standard for LTZ and High Country, and available on LT.
- Front center console with storage now standard on Work Truck and Custom.
- Two new exterior colors available:
- Mosaic Black Metallic
- Cherry Red Tintcoat
The 2021 Silverado HD models began production in September and are arriving at Chevrolet dealerships throughout fall 2020. For more news on diesel trucks, part reviews, and event coverage, stay tuned right here to Diesel Army.