If you or someone you know owns a 1999-2003 Ford truck or Excursion, powered by a 7.3-Liter Power Stroke, you’re probably aware of the common oil leaking issues. Leaking oil pans on these engines are very common and most of the time it’s due to the factory dipstick adapter in the side of the oil pan itself. As these trucks get older and older, you’re only delaying the inevitable. Strictly Diesel knows about the issue and they have just what you need; Strictly Diesel Dipstick Repair Adapter Kit.
As one of Strictly’s hottest sellers, I reached out to the marketing team at Strictly Diesel and talked with Gary Manscher to get the details on this kit.
Diesel Army Q & A
DA– For this kit, does the engine or the oil pan need to be removed to install this part?
GM- Nope. This Dipstick Adapter installs from the outside of the oil pan and does not require removal of the engine or the oil pan for installation or service.
DA– When installing this kit, is do you have to remove the existing part that is in the pan?
GM– No. The interior portion of the factory dipstick adapter stays in the oil pan. During the installation, after removing the original o-ring (so it doesn’t get stuck in the oil pickup and reduce oil flow), this part is dropped into the lowest part of the oil pan sump, where it will remain until such time as the engine and oil pan are removed.
DA– Wait, so if it’s in the bottom of the pan, it’s just stuck in there?
GM– The factory dipstick adapter will sink to the bottom of the pan and have nowhere to go. It is too large to enter the oil pickup tube and there is nothing else in the bottom of the oil pan for it to interfere with. The only possibility for any issues with regard to the part in the bottom of the oil pan would be in the case of the engine being operated upside down (a situation that more than likely means that you’ve got bigger problems than whether the engine continues to run or not).
DA– How does the Dipstick Adapter Repair Kit work?
GM– This Dipstick Adapter has a rear support brace that goes in through the opening of the oil pan and is swiveled into place during the installation. The 2 screws visible in the instructions are used to retain that support brace and pull it tight against the interior wall of the oil pan, which compresses the 2 o-rings against the outside wall of the oil pan and creates the seal.
The crew over at Strictly has seen quite a bit of engineering done to combat these issues, most of which involve some sort of sealants like silicone and some even involving epoxy type products like JBWeld. They have also seen the dipstick adapter nut over-tightened to the point of distorting the adapter inside the pan. In a way, in fact, that it would never seal again even with a new o-ring.
This kit doesn’t just benefit current oil leakers. Whether you have an oil leak now, an oil leak is starting, or if you’re just building a new engine and don’t want to deal with the inevitable in the future, the Dipstick Adapter Repair kit is the one time fix that you’re truck needs.
This kit completely eliminates the stock dipstick adapter, replacing it with a new machined aluminum adapter that features a double o-ring seal on the outside of the oil pan. This kit can be installed with the oil pan still on the engine, and the engine still in the truck. Best of all, if the o-rings in this kit should ever leak, this adapter can be quickly and easily removed and reinstalled with new o-rings all from outside the oil pan.
What Is Included In The Strictly Diesel Dipstick Adapter Repair Kit
- Billet Aluminum Adapter (US Sourced T6061)
- Machined Steel Backing Plate/Brace (1018 Cold Rolled Bar Stock)
- All Machining and Assembly in US Facility by US Workers
- Stainless Steel Screws with Copper Sealing Washers
- Double O-Ring Set for a Positive Seal
- Installs Quickly Without Oil Pan or Engine Removal
- Quickly and Easily Serviced If Necessary
- Fits ALL Ford 7.3L Trucks, Excursions, and Vans
- Correct New Ford Dipstick Tube O-Ring
- Detailed Full Color Installation Instructions
- Patented Design – US Patents : #9,285,259 & #9,671,272
Strictly Diesel Dipstick Adapter Repair Kit fits the following vehicles:
- 1995 Ford E250/350 Van 7.3L
- 1996 Ford E250/350 Van 7.3L
- 1997 Ford E250/350 Van 7.3L
- 1998 Ford E250/350 Van 7.3L
- 1999 Ford E250/350 Van 7.3L
- 2000 Ford E250/350 Van 7.3L
- 2001 Ford E250/350 Van 7.3L
- 2002 Ford E250/350 Van 7.3L
- 2003 Ford E250/350 Van 7.3L
- 2000 Ford Excursion 7.3L
- 2001 Ford Excursion 7.3L
- 2002 Ford Excursion 7.3L
- 2003 Ford Excursion 7.3L
- 1994 Ford F250/350 OBS 7.3L
- 1995 Ford F250/350 OBS 7.3L
- 1996 Ford F250/350 OBS 7.3L
- 1997 Ford F250/350 OBS 7.3L
- 1999 Ford F250/350 Super Duty 7.3L
- 1999.5 Ford F250/350 Super Duty 7.3L
- 2000 Ford F250/350 Super Duty 7.3L
- 2001 Ford F250/350 Super Duty 7.3L
- 2002 Ford F250/350 Super Duty 7.3L
- 2003 Ford F250/350 Super Duty 7.3L
- 1999 Ford F450 Super Duty 7.3L
- 1999.5 Ford F450 Super Duty 7.3L
- 2000 Ford F450 Super Duty 7.3L
- 2001 Ford F450 Super Duty 7.3L
- 2002 Ford F450 Super Duty 7.3L
- 2003 Ford F450 Super Duty 7.3L
- 1999 Ford F550 Super Duty 7.3
- 1999.5 Ford F550 Super Duty 7.3L
- 2000 Ford F550 Super Duty 7.3L
- 2001 Ford F550 Super Duty 7.3L
- 2002 Ford F550 Super Duty 7.3L
- 2003 Ford F550 Super Duty 7.3L
These kits are obviously a must for all of you 7.3-Powered drivers out there so head on over to the Strictly Diesel website here and get yours today. For more product review, truck features, and event coverage, stay tuned right here to Diesel Army.